When I was about ten years old I remember finding a wooden jewelry box under the tree on Christmas morning. My brother had made it for me in wood shop at school. He waited until I had gone to bed on Christmas Eve to place it unwrapped under the tree with a little necklace tucked inside. I cannot recall any other gift I received that year. Not even the big one from Santa that I must have dreamed about for weeks.
Looking back, the presents I remember most are the ones that someone had made. The slippers with the little pom poms my mom crocheted every year, the wrangler butt ceramic vase my aunt made for my trinkets, the afghan a Grandmother I barely knew sent to me one year, and the tea towels another had hand embroidered with the days of the week for when I married.
I can’t tell you they were my most favorite gifts every given year – but I can tell you they are the ones I remember and now appreciate the most. There is a certain energy that comes with a handmade gift that simply can’t be bought.
Now I’m not suggesting that anything you buy won’t be special, or that you try to make a gift for everyone on your list. Just pick a couple, maybe the ones that are hardest to buy for, and commit to making them something. Or perhaps encourage your kids to make a gift to give this year.
So with that in mind, instead of the giant list of cyber Monday deals I could present you with – I am going to give you a list of things that anyone can make. No special tools or skills required. Just a little time and maybe a quick trip to the store for supplies. I even included some you can make in the kitchen :)
20 Handmade Gifts That Anyone Can Make
img via glamour and grace blog
- Magnetic Pin Plate – if you can use glue you can make them and almost everyone could use one
- Solid Perfume Locket – I am all sorts of in love with this
- Memory Keeping Ornament – you can make this super simple, or take a little more time with hand embroidery
- Bath Tea – I might be making this again this year
- Salt Pouches For The Shower – love these! Just omit the sewing using suggestions in the tutorial
- Bird Seed Wreath or Ornament – perfect for Grandparents, and even the kids can help
- Fabric Covered Button Bracelet – it really is pretty!
- Real Lavender Dryer Bags – simple to make dryer sheet alternatives that will make their sheets smell better than anything you can buy in a box.
- Magnet Board For Hair Accessories – perfect for the tween you have no idea what to buy for
- Pocket Watch Photo Album – great for Grandparents or dads to use as a key chain
- Felt Cut Out Sugar Cookies – a little more ambitious, but if you can work a needle and thread you can pull it off
- Homemade Fudge – can you go wrong with this one?
- Cocoa Coffee – I love the story that goes along with this recipe – and it is sooo tasty!
- Christmas Cookie Dough – make the dough for them, then all they have to do is bake :)
- Hot Cocoa Kit - really a fun one for the kids to make
- Flavored Sugar – really simple and has free labels to print
- Cool Leather Bracelet For The Little Man – my son would love this – I need to get on it!
- 24 simple jewelry and hair accessory tutorials – a whole series dedicated to simple yet beautiful jewelry for girls
- Three Tier Treat Stands – so simple, so so fun
- Cake Stands Or Candy Bowls – like the one above, so many things you can do with this, like using mason jars
Now go make something!
Hope you’re having a wonderful Monday friends,