Hey friends! Heating up where you live? It was almost 100°F in my neck of the woods yesterday and my air conditioner died at the peak of it. Fun stuff. But we did get to stay in a hotel last night, and the kids are currently jumping on the bed – so it isn’t all bad. When it starts heating up like this I find my oven becomes more of a storage closet while the grill and crock pot take center stage. It’s amazing all the things you can cook on a grill – and with the crock pot craze on pinterest who needs an oven? I think I’ve gathered enough recipes on my Crock Pot board to last the Summer! One that I need to add is Maria’s recipe for Roast Chicken and Veggies in the slow cooker. I tried it last year as an alternative to my favorite oven version – delicious! Even better you can use the left-overs in all sorts of ways. Those types of meals save my life!
Crock Pot Whole Roast Chicken And Vegetables
1 whole chicken rinsed, remove any giblets or whatever else you find inside
1-2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
3-4 large potatoes, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
1 large onion, quartered
3-4 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks (or you can use baby carrots)
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
fresh or dried rosemary
- Place the cleaned chicken (I like to remove most of the skin) in your crock pot and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken – measure out a teaspoon of salt if you feel like you need to know how much you are using
- Sprinkle a pinch or two of rosemary on the chicken
- Toss in the sweet and regular potatoes, onion and carrots -salt and pepper the veggies too
- Make sure the lid fits tightly and then cook on low for 4-5 hours
- About forty minutes before serving throw the beans on top and they will be just right when you are ready to serve dinner
Dish it up and serve! Then just strip the extra meat off the bones and cube for use in a dish calling for chicken later in the week.
I hope you give this one try, you will love it!
I am off to look for a new home – yep, moving again. This time we’re headed for Dallas. Anyone looking for a sewing buddy?