I use these rolls for subs, pulled pork, sausage and pepper’s, garlic bread and just plain sandwiches or for dipping in soup. They are so easy to make and store well in the freezer!
Have I ever told you how much I love my pizza dough recipe, it is so versatile. I use it to make, pizza, artisan bread, bread sticks, calzones, french bread and these easy hard rolls. It is so nice to have one recipe that can be made into so many different things.
Easy Homemade Hard Rolls
2 cups warm water
2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp olive oil
4-5 cups flour
2-3 tbsp corn meal
- In a mixer, with a bread hook, combine warm water, yeast, salt, sugar and olive oil.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Add flour all at once and mix on low setting until comes together in a ball, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle corn meal on baking sheets, you will need two large cookie sheets
- Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into small french bread shapes. Dip finished dough in flour.
- Place shaped dough 2-3 inches apart on baking sheets. (6 rolls to a sheet)
- Using a serrated knife make three small slits on the top of each roll so they look like mini french breads
- Cover each sheet lightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm area in your kitchen for 45-60 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 475°
- Place baking sheets side by side on your middle rack, if possible, or you may need to bake in two batches if only one fits at a time. Before closing the oven throw 3-4 ice cubes in the bottom of your oven. (This is the magic step that makes them hard rolls)
- Bake rolls for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool rolls on a cooling rack