Every year we do a list of fun traditions for Thanksgiving Day and I almost forgot to get this year’s list up! Which would have been a shame because I asked our Facebook friends what some of their favorite things to do on turkey day were, and they had some great ideas.
Thanksgiving Day Traditions
- Have an ornament exchange – have each family (or just the ladies if you prefer) bring an ornament to exchange after dinner.
- Change up the seating with numbers – instead of place cards for seating – draw numbers! I did this at a dinner party one year and it really was fun.
- Thanksgiving Crafting – this is a tradition that was a part of all my Thanksgiving Dinners growing up. Someone was in charge of bringing a small Christmas craft to put together, you paid $5-10, and while the men watched football after dinner all the ladies got their craft on.
- Cut Down You Tree – after the big meal, head up the mountains (if you’re lucky to have ‘em near by:)) and cut down your Christmas tree.
- Thankful Tablecloth – I so love this one – using the same tablecloth every year, have everyone write one thing they are thankful for on it. See the little ones’ handwriting change over the years, and the words of loved ones who’ve past.
- Have a Leftover Party – this is for the day after Thanksgiving – gather all your leftovers and eat ‘em up. Might be fun to see how everyone uses that leftover turkey.
- Make a Thankful Tree – Gather sticks from outside and with leaves cut from colorful paper have everyone write something they are thankful for and have them add it to the tree before dinner.
- After Dinner Game – gather the neighbors, friends, and family. Bundle up and head to the ball field for a game of baseball, kickball or football.
That should give you a few ideas! If you have any to add to the list, please leave them in the comments!
Hope everyone has safe travels this week if your hitting the road or air :)