Half the time I go to the grocery store it’s not because I’ve planned ahead – it’s because it’s 4 pm and I don’t have anything to cook for dinner that night. Then I wander the isles asking the kids “what sounds good for dinner?”, getting responses like cereal and pancakes. Really, I am a complete mess when it comes to meal planning. So I have about five meals that are super easy to throw together that come to mind in these situations – and this recipe for ground beef stroganoff is one of them. It’s one of those dishes that after you’ve cleaned your plate, you head back over to the stove to have one last bite. I love it, the hubby loves it and the kids will eat it – that’s a win in my book. Plus, it has cream cheese in it – ’nuff said.
Catch me after the jump for the full recipe and a list of my other four go-to recipes for those last minute run-to-the-store kind of nights!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
*I use Swanson’s Flavor packets in this dish and I love the intense flavor it gives the sauce – it’s all natural and no msg is added. You find it by the beef and chicken stock. You can easily substitute your own stock or bullion.
1 lb ground beef – or you could use thinly sliced steak
half and onion diced
salt and pepper
1 minced garlic clove or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tbs butter
1 packet Swanson’s Beef Flavor Boost Packet (all natural, no MSG) or 1 cube beef bullion
3 oz cream cheese
2/3 cup milk
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
4 oz sour cream
pinch parsley flakes
cooked egg noodles or pasta of your choice
- in a large skillet brown ground beef with diced onion over medium heat – season with a little salt and pepper
- add garlic, butter, and stir in beef flavor packet let cook for 1 minute
- add cream cheese, milk, mushrooms and parsley – stirring constantly cook for 1 more minute
- stir in sour cream and let it heat up but don’t let it cook too long
- serve over hot buttered egg noodles
Now to top the meal off add a green salad and garlic bread, then I have a feeling this dish will make it into your monthly rotation. Hamburger helper’s got nothin’ on you ;).
Now, curious about my other go-to meals for those last minute “oh crap, I don’t have anything to cook for dinner” days? Here you go:
- Pork Chops With Black Bean Salsa
- My favorite Ham Fried Rice
- Baked Creamy Taquitos from Our Best Bites
- Grilled Salmon – so quick and easy with couscous and asparagus on the side
So there you have it, my go-to recipes.
Now it’s your turn. What’s a meal that you know every ingredient by heart and lean on in last minute runs to the grocery store? I could use a few more :).