Tutorial ~ Hanging Fabric Storage Baskets

by Destri on August 21, 2010

Hanging Fabric Basket Tutorial

If there were ever a project that was my most favorite, it would have to be these Hanging Fabric Baskets.  You can make them any size, hang on bigger thicker rods for more drama, or single baskets hung one over the other in a narrow space, really so many possibilities.  It has been fun to see the different variations people have made to use in their homes too. Some of the pictures I’ve been sent include burlap for kitchens storing potatoes and onions, in classrooms to hold student’s things, dorm room storage, even a single one holding magazines by a favorite chair.

Here are the original pockets and baskets I made to hang on my wall above my sewing table, best thing ever.  Clears so much space, yet keeps everything at hand.  Like I said you can make these baskets any size. I even had one that was more like a pocket to hold my patterns.

I made the bigger ones with plexi glass to make a sturdy bottom, but the smaller ones are plenty sturdy with craft bond fused to the fabric.  The tutorial has great tips for making different sizes too.

This tutorial won an award for the top ten tutorials of the year on Ucreate, made my year. Thanks Kari!

Now onto the tutorial!

Hanging Fabric Storage Baskets Tutorial

Hanging fabric baskets tutorial

Supplies:

• all your sewing stuff
  • cafe rod, or curtain rod
  • brackets to hang rod
  • three 8 x 10 Plexiglas sheets, I bought mine at Home Depot for about $4 a piece, by the window section

Fabric Requirements:

• each basket takes 1 yard of fabric, so I used three for this project.
  • each basket needs a yard of interfacing, again I used three yards.  I used pellon 809 decor bond, but craft bond would work as well.

Fabric Cuts:

From your fabric cut six 18½ x 28 inch pieces, and three 4 x 10 ½ inch pieces.  You will then iron them onto you interfacing per it’s instructions, and then cut out.  Trust me, it’s easier than cutting out the pellon and then ironing!  As a side note, the ironing is the longest part of this project…if I had a teenager I would have paid top dollar to have them do it, just sayin’!

Sewing:

Now for the fun part!  You will use a ¼ inch seam allowance unless noted, and don’t forget to back stitch!

Take one of your 18 ½ x 28 inch pieces and fold it in half with right side in, short ends together.  Now sew up the sides, leaving the top open.  Repeat on the five left.

Just a tip, you can decide which ones are going to be the lining, and use a slightly larger seam allowance – just a smidgen. This will make them nest inside the outside baskets nicely.

You will need two sheets for one basket, and they should look like this.  I alternated them so that I had a different pattern on the inside then I did on the outside.

Leaving them wrong side out, take and fold your corners down like shown.  To make sure that you are aligned correctly, just make a crease on the bottom fold and line that up with the seam on the inside, make sure your seam is flattened all the way out.

Take a ruler and mark a line 7½ inches long as shown and pin.  After you make the line measure from the point to the line and you should get 3¾.  Repeat on the other side, and do this on all of your pieces.

It does help if you have a cutting mat with measurements, you can see how I lined up the corners to make sure they were symmetrical.  If you don’t, that’s fine, just eyeball it.

Now sew along the lines on each of your corners.

Take the pieces you want on the outside and turn them right side out, folding the corners down.  Drop the Plexiglas into the bottom.

Leaving your other pieces right side in, fold your corners under and place inside of the other shell, on top of the glass.

Next fold your outer shell over about a half inch and pin then repeat on the inner shell…

using the same pins so that you are pinning them together.  Make sure the two overlap some where you will stitch together.

Take your three smaller pieces and fold the ends over a ¼ inch and sew both ends.

Fold in half and insert on what you would like to be the backside of the basket.  Pin in place, making sure that whatever rod you use will fit through.  I tested mine now to make sure.

To make sure that I had it centered, I just pulled the basket straight at the seams and eyeballed it.

Now with a little longer stitch length just sew all around the top, making sure to get all the layers included in the stitch.

See, one nice and clean seam.

And you’re done, now just hang them!

Then fill ‘em up!

Look at all the stuff they can hold too.  If you’ll notice the basket on the left hangs a bit in the front, that is because I made the back strip to hang it only 9 inches, the other two were 10, and they did not have that problem.

Here they are in the space, I wish it were a little more inspiring for you, but we are getting ready to move so what ya see is what ya get!

They really are super easy, and the possible uses are endless.  Again the tutorial with the smaller baskets or pockets explains how to make them any size you want.  You can use any kind of curtain rod, just make sure your piece that the basket will hang from is big enough.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Here is a set that Chris made over at Pick Up Some Creativity to organize her kids hair accessories, she made them smaller and added a fun applique.  You need to check out her whole post, great ideas!

One more thing before I go….are you on Facebook?  What a coincidence, we are too ;)!  You can like us here, we love making new friends.

Thanks for reading and sharing,

Destri

Print Friendly
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • RSS

{ 59 comments… read them below or add one }

Alida August 22, 2010 at 9:03 am

I LOVE this idea! I saw it on someday crafts and knew I had to do it! Now if I could just find the time…with 3 kids and one on the way. I’ll let you know when I do it!

Tina August 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I am redoing my boys bedroom and I think this would be PERFECT for the 6 year old to have right by his bed!! Totally cute idea….now I just gotta learn to sew…..LOL.

maria August 22, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Cute- hopefully after we get moved I will have room for a special sewing corner and get more projects done. These would look great in my boys room.

Erin August 23, 2010 at 7:34 am

These are adorable!!! I wish I could sew, but its just not my ‘thing’…but I sure do appreciate those of you who can! :)

christi August 23, 2010 at 10:35 am

these turned out great! thanks for the tutorial, too. perfect for a little ones room or playroom.

Jean @ Quilted Cupcake August 23, 2010 at 11:17 am

This is a fabulous idea! I love how they hang at child-height. So clever! Visiting you from Skip to my Lou’s party, BTW.

Mary August 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Those are so cute! Thank you so much for sharing. I am definetly going to try this for my daughters room.

Thanks again
Mary :)

shelley August 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

wow i just moved into a new house and I have been wanting to make something like that for my girls room to put there stuff. thanks for the tutorial

Diane August 23, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I’ve been meaning to make a variation of these for a while now, you know, life. ;) (I totally understand that to the T!) But these ones are super cute too! Maybe I’ll have to adjust my idea. :) Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the comment on my blog today. :)

Heather August 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm

SO CUTE! I have added it to my do to list. Thanks for the tutorial!

We were hoping that you would link this up to our fabric tuesday party tomorrow (and regularly)

Hope to see you.

quiltstory.blogspot.com

magali August 24, 2010 at 11:37 am

Merci pour cette bonne idée

Chris August 24, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for the link love, Destri. This tutorial is so great, and I appreciate you! My littlest loves to pick out hair bows now. Best wishes!

Venera August 26, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Oh! Very good idea! Try to make it too! These baskets are very usful thing in playroom. Many thanks!

the motley muse September 21, 2010 at 8:36 am

this is a fabulous project! i am going thru my fabrics right now and making a few to hang by my sewing place. also in my bathroom to hold washcloths, brushes, combs, etc. i can see them all over my studio to hold those things that get lost in the drawers. thank you so much for sharing! the tutorial is so well photographed and very easy to follow! hugz to you!

raajia October 26, 2010 at 11:47 am

bravo !!!!!! une trés bonne idée , merci pour le partage

Destri October 26, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Oh how I wish I spoke French! Thank you!

Marcia November 7, 2010 at 4:54 am

These would be so very perfect in a sewing room for scraps and projects! Brilliant!

Kimberly N November 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm

These are great! I might need to wait until my son outgrows the need to climb on everything that looks remotely climbable…

Louise November 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm

This is great. I’ve been looking for a way to get toys off the floor for a new playroom we’re doing. This will be awesome! I’m posting a link back to this on my blog and adding it to my to do list. Love It. Would never of thought to hang them!

Danielle Bartran January 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I absolutely LOVE these. Any idea what fabric this is?

Lisa January 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

This is so inspiring! My little boy loves Thomas the train and has soooo many little trains and track etc. I’m going to try this in his room! The only problem is that we live in a rented house so I’m not sure if I can figure out how to hang them without lots of holes in the walls. If anyone reading this has any ideas… They would be cool on bookcase type shelves too.

kendell February 17, 2011 at 2:06 am

What a wonderful project. Thanks for sharing Regards

Mallory March 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I just made 2 of these baskets. They are great! I used cardboard in between the fabrics on all the sides and the bottom…turned sewing machine sideways and took the case off…worked fabulous and it’s sturdy without having to spend $ on plexi glass. WONDERFUL craft! Fun, quick, easy, and so useful! I put them in my bathroom for washcloths and hand towels…the other for curling iron, blow dryer, and flat iron! Thanks!

Kathryn May 16, 2011 at 2:35 am

Thanks for the tutorial! These are really cute. I made my own you can see them here: http://misspixieworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/hanging-fabric-baskets.html

Kathryn May 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm
Sahntel June 25, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love it! I am featuring it on my blog today!
seemesew.blogspot.com

Julie June 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

This is SUCH AN ADORABLE!!! As well as useful project, excellent idea and tutorial!!! Thank you for the inspiration!!! I can see these being used for MANY different things!!!

Kelly July 12, 2011 at 11:29 am

Great tutorial – thanks for sharing!

Amber August 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

LOVE!!!!!! I can’t wait to make my own. I sure wish I could stop making things for myself and start making them for others! hee, hee!

Barbie August 22, 2011 at 10:57 am

Neat! I’m thinking of revising it for my own needs…instead of hanging on curtain rod, I want to hang it off the end of the slatted bed footboard. So I may put two velcro straps to hang the basket by instead of the one long strip. Hope this works! Thanks for the idea :-)

Cassie August 29, 2011 at 11:29 am

Can I just use a thicker fabric and skip the ironing? Upholstry fabric for outside?

Destri August 29, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Yes Cassie, I have made them with a heavier canvas type and they worked great. You just want the fabric to have a stiffness to it. Hope this helps!

Celine October 7, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hello! Just found your site. What a good idea these baskets. I’m now a grandmother and I will do one to put toys in for my grandson. Thank you to share your idea with other.

Belle de Cadix October 8, 2011 at 4:11 am

I just love it !
I’ll probably do one for my little boy room, and one for my future sewing room !
Thank you for sharing.
Claire, from France.

Rashel January 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

This is so great. You are very kind to share this. Thank you :)

Nancy January 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

I love this idea! Good points from Cassie, too. I’m a big fan of duck cloth, which should work nicely with this as well. Thanks for sharing <3

Aruna March 30, 2012 at 5:43 am

Very Nice.

Caroline April 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Hi! I would like to feature this tutorial on SewCanShe.com. Maybe some other ones too. Would you please let me know if that’s okay? Thanks!

Caroline

Destri April 11, 2012 at 5:25 am

That would be great! Thanks so much. And what a great design, love the site!

jan jones May 2, 2012 at 4:39 am

I can’t wait to try this! We made a similar project earlier this year – same style but with a handle, like a tote bag. But I am seeing all sorts of possibilities for this! One would be to hang in the bathroom for such things as cotton balls, q tips, extra bath cloths, etc. My daughter would also love one to put her hair things, such as headbands and elastics. It would also be great in the den for remotes and things. or even as a charging station for cell phones, mp3′s and the like. I just keep thinking of more ideas as I type! I am like you – hate to cut fabric unless I am sure about a project. I think I will definitely be cutting some soon. Also I scored on a whole roll of interfacing. The lady at WalMart only charged me 4.99 for a whole roll instead of 4.99 per yard. I think she just didn’t want to have to take the time to cut it, but I was not going to argue with her!

Carolyn May 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Man I would love to be the kind of person who would make these and use them!

Heleen May 30, 2012 at 3:21 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial! I’m totally new to sewing, but managed to make the baskets just looking at your pictures and reading your tips and comments over and over again :). They turned out super cute too! thanks again!!

Destri May 30, 2012 at 4:54 am

Yay! That’s the best compliment ever – thank you so much! Where did you decide to hang them?

heleen May 30, 2012 at 5:10 am

I didn’t have a chance to hang them yet and am deciding between the living room for some toy control, or the bath room for bath products and diaper control ;o). Oh and just to let you know, I’m a Dutch girl living in Germany, so your baskets have found their way across the ocean, LOL!

Joyce June 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I just wanted to let you know that when I saw the hanging baskites a lightbulb went off or rather exploded in my head as this would be the absolute perfect thing to use for 2 yr old grandaugter who is just beginning the “mine” stage and as ours is a smatter house we had sold old home and wanted a smaller home…….well won’t get into that but I was thinking of keeping to baskets appx 6″ off the floor and using heavy duty rods and attachments and running the baskets all around her room …….tou know leaving room for fruniture . bed. door.,,,,,lol

Destri June 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

LOL! You sound like my kind of gal – I have ideas explode in my head all the time :). I would love to know how it goes!

Val @ Purple Pink Pig August 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm

These are great! Thanks for the tutorial! I made two to get mail organized on my studio… planning on adding a couple more.

Destri August 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Love love how they turned out! Thanks for letting me know!

Allison G August 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hey! I was thinking of making a laundry basket like this, maybe 2-3 feet high… How much fabric would I need for something like that? (I’m terrible when it comes to figuring those things out!)
Thanks for this awesome idea! I’m gonna make some for books and toys under my son’s window!

Destri August 15, 2012 at 7:17 am

Oh sheesh, me too! It would depend on what kind of fabric you use – as they come off the bolt at different widths. I am thinking you are going to use a canvas or maybe duck cloth? I think they are normally over 50 inches in width so you should be good with two yards? one for the inside and one for the outside. Really I think that is a great idea – maybe I will do a tutorial!

elaine August 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm

love your creative ideas !

Roxy Bee October 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I can’t believe it took me this long to find your tutorial. Thank you so much for making it and sharing it for free! I have needed a creative solution for discreetly storing things close to the toilet in my master bath! I was close to this general idea but wouldn’t commit to paying the cost at ikea. Thank you sooooo very much again :D

Mino February 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Very biutifouli

Osheta Moore July 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hi,

I’m making some fabric covered bins for a shower gift and I’m wondering if I could just add tabs to the top with the extra scraps of fabric like the last step and it still hang well.

Thanks!

Destri August 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Sure! I have seen a lot of cute baskets that way!

Angélique M August 18, 2013 at 10:22 am

Very cute! (From France ;) )

Lachelle November 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

OMG! I love these!!! I am totally picturing these all over my house but especially in my sewing/spare room where every corner and under futon is full of fabric!!! Thanks soooooo much!

Judy Pittman February 1, 2014 at 11:38 am

I have been looking for ways that are unique to organize all the little, cute, maybe useful later, I just cant toss it out thing I have tossed into boxes and crates. I also have a daughter who has a hard time keeping herself and her son’s things picked up and put where they can be of use instead of in a pile in the closet. I did read about inserting Plexiglas, I will change it out for pressed board. too afraid it breaks with a very active little boy using the bags.
This is just what I have been looking for.

Sarah Helene April 25, 2014 at 11:00 am

CLEVER IDEA . . . cheery prints for storage baskets sewn from fabrics! Could be used for storage in every room, right? Thanks for the detailed tutorial including sharp photos. Sarah in Minneapolis