I am sooo looking forward to Thanksgiving. I get to eat delicious food all day long and be with family…doesn’t get much better than that. My little boy woke up this morning grinning from ear to ear and said, “Mom, there is only one more day until we get to go see our cousins.” Made my heart happy. Something else that made me happy today is a huge giveway Frigidaire is doing this holiday season. I’ll tell you all about it after we get to the recipe – it’s perfect for all the leftover turkey that will soon be adorning your fridge :)
Anytime my family gets together it usually revolves around food. My mom is a great cook and even as young children we looked forward to the specific foods that she would prepare for different holidays. She even had specific ways for using up the leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. She had two go to recipes for refashioning the leftovers. She would either make Turkey Vegetable Soup, or she would layer the turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing into a casserole.
Don’t tell my mom but I really hated that casserole, and the soup wasn’t my favorite either. Yet, somehow, I still found myself making it almost every year with my leftover turkey….that is until I had this very Turkey Lentil Soup, last year. It is delicious.
My Friend Jess, the one who makes great Sausage and Peppers, gave me some of this soup that her dad had made out of her leftover turkey. I was like WOW! That is way better then the soup I have been making all of these years, not to mention healthier with the added protein and fiber from the lentils. I freeze my turkey carcass and a cup or two of leftover turkey and wait a week or so to make soup with it.
Leftover Turkey Lentil Soup
16 cups water
Turkey carcass and 1-2 cups leftover meat, chopped or shredded
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups diced carrot
3 stalks celery, sliced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups diced potato
2 cups frozen or fresh green beans
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups lentils, rinsed and uncooked
1 29-30 oz can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot combine 12-13 cups water and turkey carcass. Cover and let simmer for about an hour. Pour stock and bones through a strainer and reserve stock.
- In large soup pot heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Saute onion, celery, garlic and carrots, 1 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add rinsed lentils and stir for 1-2 more minutes
- Add turkey stock, turkey meat, potatoes, green beans, diced tomatoes and peas.
- Salt and pepper to taste. You may need to add up to 2 tsp of salt and another 1/8 tsp of pepper because of the amount of soup. If you prefer you can use vegetable or chicken bullion instead of salt.
- Simmer for 40-60 minutes or until lentils are soft. Continue to add water as lentils absorb water in the cooking process. (3-4 cups) Enjoy!
So on to the exciting giveaways from Frigidaire I promised to tell you about. I am sure Frigidaire needs no introduction. Where they have been making fridges since about 1918 you’ve probably had one in your own home at some point. They have a collection of great appliances with a focus on saving you time and money in the kitchen and with the Time Machine Sweepstakes hosted on their facebook page you can enter to win an entire suite of them.
Just jump onto their Sweepstakes page for your chance to win a daily giveaway with something fun like movie tickets, a weekly giveaway of a Gallery Range with Symmetry Double Ovens, and to top it off, as the grand prize one lucky person is going to win an entire suite of Frigidaire appliances…fridge, oven, dishwasher, washer, dryer…EVERYTHING!
Run, don’t walk and get yourself entered. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
Happy Thanksgiving, make it a delicious one!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post by Frigidaire – we love it when our sponsors are companies we know and use.