I had this dessert served at my wedding luncheon…I love it that much. My mom used to make it occasionally when I was a little girl, but it was reserved for special occasions. I know rice crispies seem like a strange ingredient for an ice cream dessert. Don’t you worry. With the butter, brown sugar, coconut and pecans you would never guess you are eating your kids breakfast cereal in your dessert.
Putting this frozen dessert together is so quick and easy. Very little prep for big taste payout, that’s what I’m talking about! I just love crowd pleasing desserts that can be made ahead of time. Anything that helps keep the stress down when you are hosting family parties or other big get togethers is a win in my book. You know I love recipes that can be thrown together with items you probably already have in your pantry and freezer. If you have never tried this, you are missing out. This recipe is a keeper!
Rice Crispy Ice Cream Dessert
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
3 cups rice crispy cereal
1 quart container vanilla ice cream
Toppings of your choice
- Get Ice cream out of the freezer so it can soften a little while you make the crust mixture.
- In a two quart bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add coconut, pecans, and rice crispies. Mix until well coated.
- Pour all but 1/2 cup of mixture into a 9×13 pan, using buttered hands or I like to put my hand in a plastic baggie for this step, press mixture down evenly and firmly until bottom of pan is covered evenly.
- Remove packaging from ice cream. Cut block of ice cream into sections 1 or 1.5 inches thick. Place ice cream blocks on top of rice crispy crust. You will need to cut some of the blocks to make them fit properly. Completely cover the crust layer.
- Smooth out the surface of the ice cream layer as much as possible. I also use a plastic baggie over my hand to do this step, I find it works better then trying to use a knife or a spoon.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of rice crispy mixture over ice cream layer.
- Cover with foil and place in freezer until ready to serve.
- Sit out a few minutes before serving. Top with toppings of your choice. Our favorites are: caramel, raspberry, chocolate and of course whipped cream.