A great way to bring in the new year is to remember the year past by making a time capsule on New Year’s Eve. This is a great idea for those of you hosting a New Year’s Eve party, or a fun family activity for New Year’s day.
If you are having a party this year, ask all your guests to bring something small that is significant to the past year. You may want to include a list of ideas in the invitation. If it is something you are doing with the family it would be fun to make a list and have a scavenger hunt of sorts.
What to put in a Time Capsule
- News paper clippings with dates
- Grocery receipts with the date
- Movie ticket stubs
- Concert ticket stubs
- Cutout from box of the years hottest toy
- A list of stats for the year
- A copy of People magazines 50 hottest people (someone’s got to have it)
- A print out of itunes most popular downloads for the year
- An advertisement of a fad item of the year (the snuggie blanket, or the bump it hair piece)
- Anything personal that had a significance to that year
- Your kids handprint from that night
- Set out paper for people to write in their opinion the biggest event of the year
If you have a Kodak easy share or another means to print pictures at home it would be fun to take pictures of the guests and the festivities to put in the capsule as well. If there will be children at the party have them write a few of their best memories from the year down. If it will just be your family you could have each child write a letter to themselves and what they hope to accomplish in the time frame planned before opening.
Make sure to put the paper items in a plastic bag or some kind of archival envelope to preserve it.
When choosing a container to put the items in keep in mind how long you intend on waiting to open it. If it is only a few years, a shoebox may do. If you plan on waiting longer try to use something like a coffee can or a plastic tote that will hold up a little better.
It would be fun to set a date for the year you intend on opening the capsule and plan on everyone getting together again to reminisce on the years events.
If you have some fun ideas for items to put in a time capsule please leave a comment, I would love to hear them!