Tutorial ~ Hanging Fabric Baskets Or Pockets

by Destri on March 16, 2010

Hanging fabric baskets or pockets tutorial

I know I say this every time, but I am so excited about this project! The possibilities are endless! And they are so easy – I am going to have baskets hanging all around my house in a weeks time.  I am using these above my sewing desk to hold all my notions and patterns.  First I will show you how to make them, then I will tell you all the ways I think you could use them…then you can tell me all the ways I never thought of!
Hanging Fabric Basket Tutorial
Here is the tutorial for making larger baskets with plexiglass in the bottom for great wall storage.  See told you, any size!

Hanging Baskets Or Pockets

Supplies:

• Fabric – how much you need depends on how big and how many you make, we’ll go over this
  • Heavy weight interface lining – you want it stiff enough to hold its shape
  • All your sewing stuff
  • Curtain rod or wooden dowel with brackets to hang it on

Cutting out fabric:

To make one basket you need two pieces identical in size.  Example: if you want to end up with around a 4 inch cube like basket, your fabric piece would need to be 13 inches long to account for the for the front, bottom, and back with a fold on top; the width would need to be 8 ½ inches to account for the sides, front and seam.  After you make one it will be really easy to determine your cuts but I will give you my measurements that I used for mine as a guide:

• Large pocket: 12 inches wide and 20 inches long.
  • Smaller basket: 8 inches wide and 14 inches long, one only 12 inches long.
  • Smallest basket: 7 inches wide and 12 inches long.
  • Scrap pieces for the part you will use to hang them from, we’ll talk about these later

So you have two pieces of fabric the same size right?  Now you need to cut the interfacing the same size for both pieces and iron those on according to the instructions.

What I did to make it easy on myself was iron all my pieces onto one big piece of pellon and then cut it out.

Now you should have two pieces the same size with interfacing ironed on.

Fold in half right sides together, and sew up the sides with a ¼ inch seam like shown.

Now stand that piece up and fold down the corner like shown and mark where you will sew.  How far you go in depends on how wide you want the bottom of your basket to be.  I wanted mine all uniform so I measured in 1½ inches on all four of mine.  Hint: line up your seam with the bottom fold on the inside to make sure you have it square.

Now sew the corners shut like shown.  Do not cut off, they will stiffen up the bottom for you.  Make sure to back-stitch!  Repeat these steps on the other piece of fabric.

Now turn the piece that you intend on having on the outside right side out (you can press the seams if you want), and leave the other right side in.  Place the inside piece into the outer shell, line up the seams and fold those corners under so they sit on the bottom.  Then fold the top of the outer piece in about a ½ inch, and fold the inside piece out about ¾ of an inch just so the folds overlap at least a ¼ inch.

It should look like this.  Oh it’s already looking cute!  And your almost done.  So easy huh?

Now we will make our little hanging piece.  You can eyeball this part, just keep in mind you want it about the same length as the bottom of the basket and three inches long, this will make the top square up.  I did iron on some interfacing, but you wouldn’t have to.  Sew the sides like shown to make a clean edge.

Then fold in half and put in between your inner and outer pieces.

Make sure about an inch is left out as shown and then pin in place.

Now sew all three together!  Just sew right along the top of the outer piece making sure to catch the hanging piece.

Your done!  Isn’t it cute, and easy?!  Now just hang them!

A few notes on the rod you use:  I tried to use a fancier rod like this but the brackets for it were a little too far from the wall…

So I went with one that hung closer like this.  You could easily buy these brackets (they have them for separate purchase buy the curtain rods) and a small wooden dowel to use for just hanging one basket rather then multiple ones.

Now, all the ways you could use these:

1. You could make a bunch of smaller ones and hang above a changing table in a baby’s room for a pop of color, and storage.
  2. You could make a few of pockets like my big one and hang them individually one above the other for kids’ books in the play room, just use the wooden dowels like I talked about.
  3. You could make one pocket and hang by a chair for your magazines
  4. You could make some to hang by the door for “mail in” and “mail out” or with your kids names on them for paper work.

Seriously, the possibilities are endless…anywhere you are looking for a softer look rather than a wooden shelf.  Perfect for adding color and texture to a room don’t you think?

If you have any questions please leave them in the comments, and don’t be afraid to do these!  I made all of these in two hours, and most of that was ironing.

Where would you use these?

Print Friendly
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • RSS

{ 184 comments… read them below or add one }

cheryl July 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

I am addicted to these baskets!! I have made three for my son’s room….three for my daughter’s room….and three for the kitchen. The ones in the kitchen were made of BURLAP to hold my potatoes and onions!! I love them!!! thank you for the tutorial….they are super easy to make and look really great!!!

cheryl

JoAnn a Happy SewNsew July 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Absolutely love this idea. Can’t wait to make one for my sewing room.
Thanks sooooo much for the tutorial !!

kay keen July 19, 2010 at 12:47 pm

These are really cute, I will have to make some of these. Thanks so much, and really enjoyed your blog. Kay

Karen Isham July 19, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I HAVE to make some for my sewing room & pantry/office! Thank you so much for the great projects!
Karen

dangitAnge July 26, 2010 at 4:24 am

I LOVE these! I’m going to be making some very soon too! :)

Taylor July 28, 2010 at 11:02 am

OMG, I have a magnetic towel bar on my craft closet that I’ve been keeping ribbon on but it’s not working the best. This is a PERFECT idea for what to do with it!!!!

Amy August 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I am going to make these and then attach them to the Ikea curtain rods that are like a wire. I can’t wait..thanks!

Chris August 9, 2010 at 8:24 am

I made some baskets to help keep my girls’ hair stuff organized. You can see the finished project here:

Thanks again for a fun way to get things cleaned up.

alex August 14, 2010 at 1:01 pm

oh dear, they are beautiful. just made my first batch of 3, and i used really cheap old fabric for the first one, just meant as practice, but even that one turned out beautiful. thank you so so so much for that tutorial!

Curtain Track Systems August 27, 2010 at 2:35 am

A great tutorial. I love baskets.
I thought curtain is only the thing you can hang but it is also baskets.
Amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

sara September 1, 2010 at 10:36 pm

these are so cute! i cannot wait to try them …i’m going to make smaller ones for the little ones’ hair bows & such! thanks for the tutorial. :-)

doro September 7, 2010 at 10:58 pm

thanks for this great idea and tutorial.
really fantastic!

i’m linking.

many greetings, doro.

Frances Shanks November 7, 2010 at 11:00 am

What a great idea! I just adopted 5 children (ages: 5,3,1 & twins 8mon) and the hanging baskets work wonderful for all ages.

Mrs. Rogers November 7, 2010 at 9:41 pm

These are FANTASTIC! My mind is racing on what fabrics I could use to utilize them in my sewing room and in my daughter’s room…or in the kids playroom…or ANYWHERE!!!

Georgia Mullins December 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Wow, I think I will make a long pocket one for a valance in my kitchen and put my check book and extra checks in it for safety

Samantha M. December 5, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Love this idea! I have a small bathroom, and these would work great hanging from my towel rod to hold make-up and small things out of my toddler’s reach. :) Thank you for such a great tutorial!

Lynda D December 28, 2010 at 10:17 am

Husband and I are going full-time RV this Spring. These will certainly help create compact, attractive storage for all the little odds and ends one needs, but have no place to store in a 30′ RV! What a great idea, Georgia M, to make a valance out of a long basket – kill two birds, so to speak. And as a bonus, these baskets are much more attractive than the box valances used in RVs. Just had a flash – how about using velcro straps instead of the hanging strip so they could be used to hang from refrigerator shelves to take advantage of the upper unused space between shelves?

Jessica December 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

What a clever idea! I can’t wait to try this; I could use some makeup storage and my mom could use some storage places for her hair things. Thank you!

carolyn December 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm

im teachingthe ladies at the senior groop to make these they love to learn new thing

Renee January 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I love this. I made one this evening and am ready to make a few more. Thanks for sharing this great project!!

Mawga January 31, 2011 at 10:29 am

can’t wait to make these 4 my grand kids they can have a special place
when they come my house keep things or find new surprizes
thanks

Jen L February 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

I LOVE this idea! I am going to buy some denim and sew book baskets to hang by each of the kids beds for the books they read at bedtime. I usually end up reminding them over and over to pick up those books and put them back on the book shelves. Now, I’ll have those books hung up in the pockets and they can clean them out each week! The possibilities are endless! So much fun :)

Anna February 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I LOVE this idea…I think I am going to make it and hang 2 of them in my bathroom- one for extra toilet paper; one for the hubby’s bathroom books!

Mim February 28, 2011 at 9:44 pm

These baskets are awesome. I can’t wait to make some for myself and to give to my girls. Thanks for the tutorial.

Maegan March 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I adapted this design (using the smallest of the bags listed here) to make a cracker bag to use while grocery shopping. I used rip-stop nylon on the inside and basic cotton with medium weight fusible interfacing on the outside. I used velcro to close the bag and used 4 straps which go around the shopping cart handles and secure around the handles with poly snaps (from kam snaps). Now my toddler can eat her crackers at her own pace without me having to hold the zip-lock the entire time! It turned out great!

Christina April 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

Meagan, would you mind sending me a picture of what you made? Thats an excellent idea. I’m a beginner sewer and would LOVE to have something like that for my daughter and make for my friends who have kids as well!
wyntersnowflake@gmail.com

Destri May 12, 2011 at 7:32 am

Maegan, you are a genius! Would you mind sending me pictures? I would love to share the idea with my readers!

Cathy March 7, 2011 at 8:48 am

I could also see using grosgrain ribbon or webbing for the hangers. I am going to give this a shot to organize my patterns.

Carla Curry March 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm

This is just an amazing idea. I plan on making sets for several people for unusual Christmas gifts. The gift will include the hanging bar also. I just loved this idea. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Carla

Raynetta March 12, 2011 at 8:22 am

Fantastic ideas, everyone. Thinking about making one for the kitchen utensils. Get them off the counter but still have quick easy access to them. Lynda, your idea about the fridge is super. which makes me think about the space in the overhead cabinets! We are half timers so always looking for a better way. Thanks everyone for GREAT suggestions and thanks so much for the pattern.

Tere Belcher March 19, 2011 at 8:53 am

Wonderful idea! I am making mine out of burlap, and it’s for the greenhouse, to keep the trowel, hand shovel, seed packets, etc all neatly in one area. It could also be used in a shed, or garage. Thanks for a great project!

Destri March 20, 2011 at 5:29 am

Oh Tere, you’re a genius! I never thought to use it for that! You know, if you use a lightweight water proof material – like a table cloth – they would be super easy to clean. I had bought a new table cloth at walmart for a blanket backing, and it was very light weight, so it wouldn’t be hard for a machine to get through it. See now you have my wheels turning! So fun!
Thanks!

Amber March 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thank you so much! I have been looking everywhere for something like this in canvas to hang in my bathroom to hold my curling iron, flat iron, and blow dryer. I’ll probably make some small ones to hold my bobby pins and pony holders as well. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

Stephani April 1, 2011 at 5:02 am

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while and these are just PERFECT! You made it so easy to follow… thanks again!

Stephani April 10, 2011 at 6:21 am

LOVE this idea! Easy to follow tutorial. I replaced the fabric hanging piece with handles to make lined gift/shopping bags. Thanks!!

Destri May 12, 2011 at 7:31 am

Stephani, would you mind sending me some pictures?!

Stephani May 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I uploaded the pictures to the flickr pool.

Mary Beth April 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Love It. Perfect for so many spaces! Maybe one set by the back door for everyones “take it with you” pile!

l'apprentie bcouturiere May 3, 2011 at 8:13 am

Thank you, it’s a very good idea. And your tuto seems so easy. Bye

nelda July 9, 2011 at 6:19 am

this is so cute! I am going to make one ;) thanks for sharing!

maureen mcgraw July 9, 2011 at 8:02 am

I love this idea. I have a steel front door and I did purchase a magnetic curtain rod for it . I use the rod to hang wall hanings up on the door to decorate it, but I will get another one so I can hang up these little pockets- such a great idea.

Linda L. July 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

This is a great sounding idea. It gave me an idea on how to use up the pants legs left from when I make jeans purses – I bet I could use them for one layer (inside on one, outside on the next, etc) and make the other layer out of some of my leftover fabric. I have GOT to try this!! Thank you for sharing this tutorial (I am addicted to tutorials it seems). I wish I’d found it sooner but at least I found it now!!

Catherine July 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm

These are wonderful! Thank you for the tutorial. I am going to make some for my classroom to hang on my bulletin boards. I think they will be very useful.

jasmine August 29, 2011 at 7:49 am

This tutorial rocks! I’m planning on making a set in thanksgiving and christmas colors and using them instead of nailing multiple stockings to the wall! Then I can just switch out the christmas style for a cute winter style after the holidays followed eventually with spring holiday themed boxes and summer ones too!

Destri August 30, 2011 at 4:42 am

Jasmine that is a great idea! I would love to see photos if you get a chance! Thanks so much :)

Kelly September 5, 2011 at 6:43 am

These are adorable! I’ve shared this link on my Sewing Page.
Thanks for sharing!
Kelly

Debbie September 10, 2011 at 3:04 am

What a great idea! You could incorporate this into a kitchen theme if you used a wooden spoon to hang them on, a sports theme using a golf club- great to use for tees and balls, a yardstick for sewing stuff…how fun!!

Destri September 10, 2011 at 5:52 am

Debbie, you are a genius! Love that idea :)

maureen September 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm

this is such a great idea. just curious though…

since it seems like most of you are already accomplished sewers and crafters, what is the likely hood someone with zero skill could handle this? i came across this page looking for a way to create something i can’t afford and already have visions of these awesome little baskets for every room in my home and some pretty great ideas to expand on it too. i’ve always been a bit bummed that i have good ideas and no way to carry them out. or at the very least, could i be pointed in the direction of developing skills?

Cece September 23, 2011 at 7:38 am

This is adorable! Any ideas for how to adapt something like this in a vertical space?

Destri September 28, 2011 at 5:42 am

Thank you! You could buy the wooden dowels and then some of the cafe rod brackets (they sell them separately by the rods), spray paint them all the same color, and then hang one over the other. Does that make sense? Let me know!

Cece September 28, 2011 at 6:51 am

Oh, great idea! You could also just hang the top one and connect the others with ribbon or some other kind of cute trim. OK, I’m going to try this one out. Fun!

Melinda September 29, 2011 at 10:34 am

I want to do these for an upcoming project but I have a clarification question. When you say heavy weight interfacing, do you mean heavy or stiff? I did a purse recently that called for heavy and I used stiff thinking they were the same. Totally did not work. Too stiff for the number of layers and barely fit my machine. I will send pics and be sure to link here!

Destri September 29, 2011 at 11:08 am

Hi Melinda,
So glad you are giving these a go! Everyone that has tried them has taken a different approach; some have used canvas with no interfacing, some have used interfacing only on the outside, some not at all. I personally like using what you would call a stiff craft bond interfacing. It gives them a little structure. I personally have had no problem getting them through my machine at all, but I have used quilting cotton weight fabric in all these projects. If you are using a heavier fabric, use a lighter interfacing.
I hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.
One last thing that I have meaning to add to the tutorial, if you use a slightly larger seam allowance for the inner panel, they fit a little more snuggly in the outer. Reader tip, and I love it!
I cannot wait to see pictures!

Amanda October 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I am so excited!! I am new to sewing and am certainly getting the bug! I am going to make 3 for my kitchen. One for each kid to hold homework and one for me to hold all those sheets of paper that need to be signed and go back to school!! Thinking about attaching to the side of the fridge so we can always find everything! Thank you!

Mary October 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Good Idea I put Velcro on the flap as my rod didn’t come off the door I just used a towel rack . I put Velcro on the basket and the flap so I could take it off and on without taking the bar down

Sharon November 10, 2011 at 9:33 am

I made these for the bathroom to hang my hairdryer and curing iron in because I sadly lack storage. Works perfectly.

Maxine November 11, 2011 at 2:20 am

Thanks, just gave me an idea for Christmas gifts.

Jill November 12, 2011 at 9:02 am

I will be student teaching starting in January and then planning my classroom hopefully. These would be great to organize my classroom or give my students a place to organize their work or homework for the week!!! I love this!!!

Destri November 13, 2011 at 5:10 am

Thanks Jill! If you have a chance to make them, make sure to add them to our flickr pool. Good luck with your student teaching!

Pam November 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

I just want to say………..I really love this projects. I am intending to make these for my bedroom to hold scarves. also i want to make some for my computer room to hold papers or electronic gadgets. Thanks for the idea, continue supplying more.