Tutorial ~ Simple 3 Twists Hairstyle

by Destri on September 19, 2011

Pin It

First, a little back story:  I was on Pinterest (I know, big surprise) awhile back and Ms. Ez from Creature Comforts pinned a fun messy hair-do, and mentioned she needed to learn how to do it.  So I piped in that I should show her how.  I have been wanting to do a hair tutorial for ages now, so this was the perfect reason to get it done.  I was a hairstylist in my first life, and I am not too shy to say I was a pretty good one – I can’t say that about everything, so I will take it where I can ;).

So here it is, my first hair tutorial, wahoo!  It is a hot mess style – you know the I just rolled out of bed, twisted my hair a bit, and look hot without trying too hard kind of look – or something like that.  It is so so easy; a little backcombing, 3 twists, about 8 bobby pins, a splash of hairspray and no one will know you were up with two kids twice last night :).  Shall we get started?  Catch me after the jump!

It is best to start with 1-2 (even 3) day old hair that has a little wave to it.  I had my friend sleep in a braid to get some texture and wave.  Tip: dirty hair is always best for these kinds of styles, so to get more days in between washes, wear your hair down the 1st day (styled with hairspray so it doesn’t get greasy), half up the 2nd, and all the way up the 3rd.

Next you will want a little lift through the roots.  Just backcomb (How To Backcomb Your Hair Post Here) the crown area, don’t forget the front. Tip: make sure the front of your hair looks the way you want in the front, you won’t want to mess with it later.  Also, if you are wanting it messier and bigger like the inspiration hair-do, then really go to town with the backcombing.

So now we have the hair looking a little fuller, and the front styled the way we want it to look in the end.  Take a little hair creme and rub it in the palm of your hands.  Run your hands through the ends of your hair to separate them a bit.

Split your hair into three sections, pulling the sides in front of your shoulders, leaving just one section in the back.

Lift the back section up and backcomb at the base.  This is essential!  The bobby pins need a little something to grab onto so they won’t slip, and this will provide that anchor.

Take the section and twist once like shown.  Keeping your fingers at the base, slip in a bobby pin on the inside of the twist where you backcombed.  Then slip a second pin in, making an X with the pins.  If you feel like it needs a little more reinforcement, add more pins.

Next take the second section and hold it out to the side like shown.  Tip: If you have thin hair, you can backcomb at the base a bit to add a little oomph, when you twist the hair, it will hide the “nest”.

Twist the section once loosely right next to the first twist, like shown in the picture.  Tip: pin where your fingers are holding the twist, if your fingers are securing it there, so will the pins.  Make sure to make an X with the pins.

Now take the third section and hold it to the side like the first, then twist a few times, and cross over the first two twists and pin underneath where you first originally backcombed.  Make an X with a second pin.

Now spray the heck out of it!  Just kidding a little should do :).  You’ll notice that because of the backcombing at the nape, all the pins are anchored well, so you don’t get that tug that usually comes with using bobby pins, resulting in no afternoon headache.

I have shoulder length hair and this style works great for that length as well.  It kicks the ends out to the side a bit for a fun look from the front, I will have to snap a picture the next time I do it.

So I was thinking of doing a couple of videos, like “how to properly use bobby pins” and “how to backcomb without looking like you just stepped off a 90′s movie set”, what do you think?  Would that be useful?  I just see a ton of hair tutorials out there, and really the only way to pull them off is to understand these basics first.  Let me know if you’re interested and I will see if I can muster the nerves :)

**EDIT you can find the How To Backcomb Your Hair Post here

Happy Monday friends, hope it’s a great start to the week for everyone!

~Destri

Print Friendly
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • RSS

{ 83 comments… read them below or add one }

Carol September 19, 2011 at 9:50 am

Love this!! Can’t wait to try it and a BIG BIG YES to the two videos. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with the world!

Destri September 19, 2011 at 10:07 am

Yay! Thank you :), I was a little nervous, but you made me feel better! I will get to work on the video’s, stay tuned…

Amber Lennox April 5, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Would love it!

Susanne September 19, 2011 at 9:57 am

Love this style. Yes, yes, yes PLEASE on the how-to vids — I’m all thumbs with bobby pins!

Destri September 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thanks Susanne! And yes, bobby pins are either your best friend or your enemy. There are some tricks to using them :)

Shasya September 19, 2011 at 10:12 am

Uhhh duh YES to the videos!

Love,
Your hair challenged sister (you know the one that taught you everything…except hair)

Aubrey September 19, 2011 at 10:25 am

Love it Destri! I’m exited to try it. Destri has done my har numerous times so I can also say she is a pretty dang good hairstylist too! :) Hmmmm, isn’t it time for you to come visit soon?

Fruitful Fusion September 19, 2011 at 10:52 am

Excellent tutorial! And definitely interested in the others you mentioned!
Thanks!

Jileen September 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Destri, I love this. I don’t know if I can do it but I am inspired! And please do more on hair. I have my own issues with bobby pins!

Star speckles September 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

would love to see the vids, thanks for the tutorial – might sleep in tomorrow (as I won’t need to wash my hair…) and give it a go!

Jessie K September 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Yes please to the videos! I usually end up with pins poking my head. :P

Tina September 19, 2011 at 4:42 pm

You. Are. My. Hero. For realzy. I LOVE this! Please do more! My hair is not officially almost to my waist (no joke) and the bun is getting old. LOL! Amazing.
Best,
Tina

Monica September 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

So pretty. Yes to more tutorials! Especially how to use bobby pins correctly. I think I have no clue. Could you show tips for women with straight, fine hair? Thanks!

lorchick @ ON{thelaundry}LINE September 19, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I second this, I have fine straight hair and my 4 year old has fine straight hair. Mine is cut to a sharply angled bob because it’s the easiest to style nicely for my hair type, but my heart belongs to longer, more romantic hair!

Phoebe September 20, 2011 at 8:30 am

I’d love to see this, too! I’m going to try this twist at home, but I bet it’s going to look quite sad on me.

Lindsey September 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This hairstyle is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

And, I would LOVE to see some videos!!! I’ve never gotten the hang of bobby pins!

vanessa @ silly eagle books September 19, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Yes!! Please! Videos! I am hopeless with my hair–I am so excited to learn that you are a hair maven as well! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Lori September 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Please do the videos! I’m always adjusting my pins! I can’t wait to try this! Looks amazing with little effort!

Penni Moussa September 20, 2011 at 3:59 am

Dearest Destri,
I can’t wait to try this! You are amazing! It would be wonderful to see your other ideas on video. You go girl! You can do it!
Blessings! Penni

Destri September 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Thanks Penni, I am going to need that pep talk! Love your work!

Suzanne September 20, 2011 at 5:51 am

awesome Destri, love how it turned out!

Kelly O. September 20, 2011 at 5:54 am

videos would be awesome! I have super thick hair and always have trouble with bobby pins not staying in!

Shauna September 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

Love this tutorial! I think I might have to throw in my extensions to do it well, though, because I have thin hair.

rooth September 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

This is a lovely hairdo that I would never be able to figure out myself. I’ll try and follow your tutorial as closely as possible – thanks for sharing

Jane September 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm

PLEASE do the videos! I would love it.

Chrissy September 20, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I would LOVE to see video tutorials! I love this style, and your instructions are great! Thanks!!

Jeanna Britt September 20, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Yes please! LOVE HAIR TUTORIALS!

Flor @ Life in Progress September 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh, I loved this tutorial…and a video tutorial would be awesome! Will this work if you have long hair? :)

Destri September 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yes! just make sure you have that backcombing in the back, and you may need to do a little more up higher, as you might have to use more pins to support the weight of your hair. Let me know!

laura September 21, 2011 at 12:54 am

Thanks for the tutorial, and absolutely YES to the “basics” videos….

Kim September 21, 2011 at 3:17 am

I LOVE this too! Oh please do a video! My attempt didn’t quite work out as planned! The backcombing left me with an enormous mess! Maybe my hair is too fine & thin? Could be I overdid it!?? Love your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Destri September 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Hey Kim, yes if you have very thin or fine hair, backcombing can be a little more difficult to hide. In this case, I would just backcomb in the back, and pull up at the roots and spray for lift in the crown. You really only need a little backcombing where the pins will go, that way they don’t slip out. Play around a bit with it, really it gets easier every time. I really just need to do the videos so I can explain all of it in detail! Thank you so much for the compliment!

Michelle September 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm

just found this through pinterest and I LOVE it! I’m totally trying this on my hair tomorrow :)

jeannie September 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I love the hair tutorial, but I love the paint color in that first photo too! It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. Can you please share the name of the paint color if you happen to know? Thank you!

Christina in TN September 22, 2011 at 8:27 am

This is adorable! I just found this on Creature Comforts. I have thin/fine hair so I would definitely have to back comb, but I have a silly question: how do I undo backcombing before I go to bed?

Destri September 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Christina that’s not a silly question at all! I have seen some pretty serious damage from people just tearing through. I find it easiest to just start by combing my ends and then slowly working up, barely catching the edges of the backcombing and then when you reach the center, it seems to just unravel fairly easily. I am glad you asked this question, I will have to include that in the video!

Veronica September 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I just tried this and love it. I am using it for my wedding hairdo. Thank you.

Vivienne @ The V Spot September 26, 2011 at 8:25 am

Nice! I have long, thick hair and will have to give this a try. :)

Ruth September 26, 2011 at 8:44 am

This is awesome. But i bet i can’t do it. I’m not good at hair! I would definately love a video!

Bridget September 27, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I love it! I tried to do it Sunday and it came out really well for someone who normally doesn’t fix her hair at all. I have one question though. What kind of cream are you talking about? I would love to try it again and I think I would do better if I knew what to put in it other than hairspray lol.

Destri January 30, 2012 at 7:14 am

So sorry for the late reply Bridget! So happy you love the hairstyle. The cream I used was just a light weight styling cream. They aren’t quite as forming as a pomade, and not too greasy like a serum. I used Alterna, but I think Garnier has a good one!

Michelle September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Cute!

Karena September 29, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love it!!! PLEASE….give us a few more quick and cute styles. Heaven knows there are mornings when we all need to look a little bit put together but don’t have time for a wash!

Hazel Schreiner October 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

This is stunning, you’ve inspired me to do something different with my hair this morning!

:) Hazel

Alyssa October 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Beautiful, but bobby pins and I do NOT get along!
By the way, I’ve been trying to become a part of Pinterest, I’ve been waiting months for an invite.. Please invite me!
alyssa.daiello@yahoo.com

Jill November 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Love this! I have long, very thick hair. I don’t know if you’ve tried those bobby pins that look like a spiral? They. Are. Awesome! The only kind of bobby pin that is super duper secure. I think Goody makes them. I also use these (3 of them) for a messy bun and it holds all day without having to redo.

Destri November 3, 2011 at 3:52 am

Jill no I haven’t, but I am intrigued! I am getting ready to do a video for the bobby pins. Will have to find them and try them out! Thanks so much!

Nette November 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm

hello,
I was wondering if you would do a video of this as I was a little confused by your directions… where the twists are supposed to be ect. Thanks

Samantha December 2, 2011 at 12:04 am

This is so beautiful! And simple! I have really long mixed texture hair (curly underneath, wavy in the middle, and almost straight on the top). This seems like something I can do to cover up my super strange hair besides a half up/half down, a bun, or a pony! YAY! Also, I too have to highly recommend the spin-pins. It took me about an hour of playing around with them to really get the hang of the technique, but now that I have it figured out, it takes me about 30 seconds to put my hair in a bun, and I don’t have to do any fidgeting with it till I take them out :)

Destri January 30, 2012 at 5:59 am

Thanks Samantha, I HAVE to get some of those pins!

Kelly December 18, 2011 at 9:37 am

Great tutorial!!!! Please Please OH please keep educating us with your talents…thanks much for taking the time… I so appreciate it!!! Take care

Diane January 4, 2012 at 3:13 am

i love the tutorial but i cant seem to get the twisting down pat :(
is it just normally twisting it or do you have some other technique? :)
thankyou!

Destri January 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Hi Diane,
I need to get in one spot long enough so I can do a video on this :) It really depends on your hair, but it is almost like a fold as much as a twist. Make sure you are holding it out to the side like shown in the picture, and then fold it over while twisting. Does that make sense? The more you play around with it the easier it gets.

I will see if I can get a video for it here soon!

Candy Detweiler January 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

You are most definitely gifted and creative with your hair skills, and are a woman after my own heart. Having been a cosmetologist for many years myself, it was always my heart to instruct as I cut or styled so my clients would feel confident about reproducing it at home. I also gave some money-saving tips that allowed those on a tight budget to keep coming to the shop for a professional haircut as opposed to putting their needs last on the list in the ‘family budget picture.’ KUDOS!

I love the simple yet thorough tutorial skills you present….you are gracious and not condescending in the least. That is sooo important b/c you make the non-professional out there feel that any of what you are teaching them is totally attainable! KUDOS!

You are a natural teacher….and lots of tutorials should come from you, girl! KUDOS!!!

Destri January 29, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thanks so much Candy :)…I need to have you come leave me comments like this all the time! Made my night :)

Lana February 8, 2012 at 12:46 am

Love the twists! A lot easier than braiding especially when your hair is down to your waist! Thank you:)

Destri February 8, 2012 at 4:57 am

You bet, and yes much much easier. I tried even doing a little side braid on myself the other morning, one area I definitely do not excel in :)

Eilidh Macdonald February 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

this looks lovely!! i have naturaly curly hair and this style would suit i think!
im so bored of doing the same 3 hairstyles and would love tips and ideas for other ‘do’s’!!

many thanks….keep them coming!! :-)

Eilidh

Destri February 10, 2012 at 5:09 am

Thanks Eilidh, and yes this is perfect for curly hair. I have a post coming up sometime dedicated to curly hair, so stay tuned!

Heidi February 11, 2012 at 8:59 am

I have wanted to know how to do a style like this for a long time, thank you. I never can get the back combing and bobby pins right in any style. I noticed the first comment here was last September, have you done the instructional videos yet? Would love to see them.

Marlene February 11, 2012 at 11:30 am

Yes would love to see additional tutorials on back combing and using bobby pins. Thanks.

niCOLE February 19, 2012 at 9:39 am

dO MORE Videos, I like your style and I also have Curly hair like the comment above me. I am going to save your website now and repin this tutorial as well, because it’s cute – and I love that it’s for a bedhead – all of us don’t have time to have perfect hair all the time – up late with baby and heck, we still want to look good….but we need easy things like this twist. I love the idea of “basics tutorials” where is the one on how to properly use bobby pins? I thought you just needed to stick em in!?! Teach me!

Kelli February 27, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I hope you’re still planning to do the bobby pin tutorial as I’d just love it. This is so great! Thank you!!

Megan April 3, 2012 at 8:17 am

I absolutely loved your post! It is exactly what I needed. I also would love to see those other videos, they would be very helpful!!
Keep up the great work!! :)

Destri April 11, 2012 at 6:27 am

Thanks Megan! They are coming, hopefully one will be up this Friday!

Julianna April 9, 2012 at 8:41 pm

3 simple steps to an boring mess. Looks like you’re were on your way to a nice do.. then just gave up.

Debbie April 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ahhh! I love this! I have natural curls so would backcombing still be good? Since my hair is super thick and has tons of volume already. Hahah! I’d love to try this.

Destri April 19, 2012 at 8:50 am

I think you’d be better off without the backcombing in that case :) Thanks so much, let me know how it goes!