Tutorial ~ Fat Quarter Pillow Case Dress

by Destri on April 9, 2011

Pin It

I’m a sucker for fat quarter bundles.  They are just fun packaged up in coordinating fabric goodness.  You can make oodles and oodles of stuff with them, and I thought I would add a pillowcase dress to the mix.  Who doesn’t love a pillowcase dress, right?  They are quick and easy, and so so cute.  I took my little girl out to lunch in her dress and had three people ask me where I bought it…that’s the best! “Aw shucks (blushes), I made it, and for the right price….”

Pillowcase Dress Tutorial

I have made up a Sizing/Cutting guide to make the dress in sizes 3 months on up to a children’s size 6.  On the chart I included suggestions for older girls too. You can of course make this with fabric scraps, and it is a very budget friendly pattern for fabric cut off the bolt.  You only need five 1/4 yard fabric cuts off the bolt.

Front Tie Pillowcase Dress Tutorial

I have created a collection of these dresses with different options including a front tie or back tie version, a elastic no-tie option suitable for infant dresses, and a lined version with bottom trim.  You will use this tutorial as a supplement to all those patterns.

You can use the print button at the bottom of this post to remove any images and text for saving on ink when printing.

Easy Fat Quarter (Paneled) Pillowcase Dress

For fabric cuts use the Sizing Guide I have provided.  If you are new to sewing I have a Sewing Tips Directory that might be useful.  It’s always a good idea to read through the directions before sewing, especially if you are using another version for this pillowcase dress and this as the supplement.

Supplies:

• all your sewing stuff
  • ribbon or double fold bias tape

Assembling The Basic Paneled Pillowcase Dress

You will use a 3/8 inch seam allowance throughout unless noted.  Don’t forget to back stitch, and warm up your iron.

To start, you will sew 4 panels together.  Place two with the right sides together and then sew up the long side with a straight stitch and then add the other two in the same manner.

Finish each of the seams with a serger or zigzag stitch like I did (tutorial for finishing seams with a zigzag).  Press all the seams to one side.

Now with the right side of the panels facing up, sew down each seam right along the edge, securing the seam allowance and top-stitching the top. Here is a tutorial for getting a great looking topstitch.

I like to use a little longer stitch length when top-stitching, and then press with steam after to set the stitch. It will give you a nice finish.

Now take the bottom panel and press in half with the wrong sides together.  Cut it to match the length of your body panel.

Lay the sewn panels face up on a working surface.  Place the bottom panel on the bottom of the pieced body.  You will want the raw edges together and pin in place.  Pay attention to the panels, and make sure that you have the bottom panel so that when all sewn up they are in the order you want.

Now sew with a straight stitch,  and serge or zigzag the seam.

Press the seam up and top-stitch right above the seam on the right side, this will lock that seam up. Repeat all the above to make a second panel.

Now for the armholes.  You will lay the two panels together and cut off the corners as follows:

• 3-12 months measure in 3 inches on the top, and down the side 3½ inches
  • 18 month-2T measure in 3½ inches on the top, and down the side 4 inches
  • 3T-4T measure in 3½ inches on the top, and down the side 4½ inches
  • 4T-6T measure in 3½ inches on the top, and down the side 5 inches

Repeat on the other side.

Now iron each cut corner over 1/4 inch and then a 1/2 inch.  It is on the bias so you can curve it a little.  Repeat on the other three corners.

Sew each armhole with the right side facing up.  This will give you a nice facing stitch.  Just sew with a 1/4 inch seam allowance (edge of fabric lined up with the presser foot), with a straight stitch.  Repeat on the remaining three armholes.

They should all look like this when you are done.

Pin panels together with the right sides together, making sure the arm holes are lined up nicely.

Starting at the top, you will sew down the side.  At the beginning you will have a larger seam allowance as you can see in the picture.  You just want to make sure that the stitch is on the folded part of the armhole, then you will gradually let the stitch out to the side making a ½ inch seam allowance. This will give the dress a slight A-line as well.  Make sure to back stitch.  Serge or zigzag to finish it off the seam.

*Edit -  After I sewed the side seams, I trimmed the seam just under the arm to make it a uniform 1/2 inch seam allowance, and then zigzag stitch to finish off.

This picture shows you where my seam started and how it comes on the inside of the raw edge on the fold.  I am making this sound a lot more complicated than it is, it will make sense when you are sewing it up!

Press the seam, and this is how it should look for you in the end.  Easy Peasy.

Almost done!  Turn the dress wrong side out, fold and press the top on each panel over 1/4 inch and then again a half inch.  Sew up each top making the casing.  Decide how long you will want the bias tape for the tie, and then sew up the side to make one long ribbon.  With a safety pin attached to one end, thread through the casings on the dress.

All done!  So cute, and a fun use for the fat quarters sitting in your stash.

Here is the back side.  It looks adorable with a little shirt under it too.

I hope you have a chance to make this one, it’s really a fun little dress.  As always, if you make one let me know!

**this post has been edited to reflect the sizing guide that was added to supplement it.

Print Friendly
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • RSS

{ 335 comments… read them below or add one }

Jennifer H. November 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I found your tutorial through Pinterest and decided I had to try to make one of these dresses. I haven’t ever really loved the pillowcase style before, but this one was just too cute. This is the first piece of clothing I have ever made, and it turned out better than I could have hoped! I even had enough of the material left over to make a matching doll dress. Thank you for the super cute dress tutorial!

Destri November 13, 2011 at 5:45 am

Thanks so much Jennifer, you made my day! If you get a chance post some pictures on our flickr group, I would love to see them!

Lindsey Whitney November 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Absolutely lovely. Now, if i could only learn to use my sewing machine!!

Francesca November 29, 2011 at 2:43 am

This dress is so cute! Do you happen to have any instructions for this dress in an adult- sized top?

Destri January 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Just wanted to let you know I am working on a shirt, and swimsuit cover-up version for adults for this spring :)

emma December 3, 2011 at 7:51 pm

i do it ;D its beautiful :D

Miriah White December 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

Where did you get this fabric !!

Destri December 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

I bought it years ago at Joann’s fabric. I love it too, wished I would have bought more of it :)

Brenda S January 4, 2012 at 1:15 am

I finished mine last night. It’s not perfect. It’s my very first one. I think it’s extremely cute. Hopefully this link will allow you to view it.

Destri January 4, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I love it! And I love the colors you used. Congrats on the little girl coming, it looks like you will have a lot of fun :) I need to login to my Craftsy account so I can follow you :)

Thanks so much for sharing and spreading the word, it means a lot!

Destri

Alison January 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I have made two of these dresses now and they are just so cute! My husband came home tonight and I had put it on my daughter and he asked me where I had gotten the dress – ha! I told him that I made it and he was amazed. He said it “looked designer.” Sweet guy. Thanks for the great tutorial :)

Destri January 29, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Oh that is awesome! Best compliment ever! Thanks for sharing, if you have a chance add a pic to the flickr pool, I would love to see them!

Jennifer January 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

For my daughters Owl themed birthday in March! Thanks so much for the great step by step directions…I am going to attempt a mini version for her American Girl doll.

Thanks again!
A link to the picture, I will credit your site on FB.

Jennifer January 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thanks again!
A link to the picture, I will credit your site on FB.

Destri January 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I love it! Thank you so much for sharing!

Iddy January 23, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Gorgeous!!!! Any idea who the print designer was for this set? I’m in love with the fabric!

Destri January 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thank you! I wished I did! I bought it years ago at Joann’s. Trust me, I have learned my lesson and always make a fabric note now :)

Teri January 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I can’t wait to make this for my youngest granddaughter, Caroline. She loves dresses!

Destri January 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Oh good, I can’t wait to see pictures! I love that name, so sweet.

Teri February 1, 2012 at 12:37 am

I wanted to know if you have the measurements for adult sizes? I have a 15 y/o neice who saw this and thought it would be cute for her. Please let me know.

Destri April 25, 2012 at 7:56 am

Hi Teri, sorry for the delayed reply. I would say use the cutting guide I made up (linked on the post) and make at the width of the 6t, and then the length to brush the top of her thigh..just measure from the top of her shoulder down.

monnie February 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I love it! just wondering how I would make it in size 0 I cant wait 2 years until my daughter will fit it! :)

Destri April 25, 2012 at 7:54 am

Hi Monnie,

I have a sizing guide up now and also a few other versions including a safer elastic version and a tie in the front or back, just click on the dress under season’s best and you’ll find them all!

Candace February 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thanks so much for the great tutorial. Made one for my 3 yr old in about 3 hrs (this is the first piece of clothing i have made) I will definitely be making more….thank you!!

Destri February 10, 2012 at 5:07 am

Ack! I love the fabric you used! It looks great, I can’t believe that is the first piece of clothing you made. It looks like you did a great job on the finish work. You should have a go at the swing coat now, it would be just about your little ones size!

Thanks so much for letting me know, and for the shout out. Makes my day :)

Destri

Chris Pennifold February 9, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Dear Destri,

Thank you so much for this excellent and wonderful tutorial on this beautiful little girl’s dress. I made one today (1oth February 2012) and am just so thrilled with it. I belong to a website called Cute Embroidery and have posted a picture of it – can I put your link to this dress so that others can look at your website? Love and blessings Chris Pennifold

Destri February 10, 2012 at 5:04 am

Chris,
I just sent my hubby off to work and sat down to the computer with blurry eyes, it was great waking up to your sweet comment. What a way to start my day!
I would love if you shared the link. Thank you. Can you leave me a link so I can come and see your dress?
Again, thanks so much!
Destri

Laura February 18, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Do you ever make these to sell? I would love to buy one as I’m sewing illiterate!

Destri April 25, 2012 at 7:48 am

We are thinking of opening a store front here on TMH and that would be a product we would add, I’ll let you know!

Michelle Lubbers February 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I found this on Pinterest… What is it with little bundles of matching fabrics? I am a sucker for those too. Am I really that challenged when it comes to coordinating fabrics?

Thanks for the post, and all the details for finishing. Your compliments are well deserved, you didn’t skimp on anything, and it shows.

Self taught sewer (has to be a better word for that?), one stitch at a time.

Michelle My Belle

Destri February 23, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks so much Michelle :)

And yes, for me that is the attraction to the bundles – they already are coordinated. I have the hardest time with that, I will stand and look at fabric forever, then end up picking one print and a solid cause I know it will work!

Holly M. February 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hello! I’m a new member of your website and I thanks to you I will soon not have ANY printer paper or ink! ;oP I can’t wait to try some of your sewing projects for my little girl. I will definitely be posting pics. Thank you for all the great craft/sewing/cooking/etc ideas! I can’t wait to read more!!

Destri March 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

Thanks so much Holly, I actually got your comment awhile ago and read it on a bummer kind of day – it was just what I needed :)
I can’t wait to see the pictures, they are always a bright spot in my day too!

As for the ink you have to try printfriendly.com! All you do is take the url of the page you want to print, paste it in the little bar and then it let’s you delete text and photos you don’t need. It’s a life saver for me.
Thanks again :)

Holly M. March 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thank you SO much for the tip! I will definitely be using that in the future!

Amy King February 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thanks for this amazing tutorial! I literally lay awake thinking about making this dress, so cute. I made one for my 7-year old daughter who is big for her age and she is wearing it as a top with leggins. (We are from Scotland.) Kind of wish I’d made it a bit longer and wider as it looks quite straight, but very cute all the same. Can’t wait to see what the adult version looks like, and I love that you can make such gorgeous things and use up scraps at the same time.

Destri March 10, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh I love it! I really like the fabrics you used too. The one pictured I made over a year ago, and we now wear it with leggings too, I love it just as much as a top. I am thinking for adults it will be perfect as a swimsuit cover up too!
Thanks so much for letting me know Amy!

Sarah March 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

Thankyou for this gorgeous tutorial. I have had a fat quarter bundle stashed away whilst I searched for the perfect thing to make and this was it! It turned out beautifully and I can’t wait for my little one to grow a bit so she can wear it. Thankyou also for curing my fear of making dresses, this was a great start.

Laney March 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hi I loved your tutorial! I am making this dress for my little 10 month old granddaughter, but I want it to be a gift! Any idea how much I would cut off top? She takes 12 mos. in clothes, but is very short. (don’t know her height) I am thinking I should cut off about 3″ on the top……does this sound accurate to you? Her mother likes her dresses/skirts on the short side, since she’s got very short, chubby legs!! Would appreciate any help you could give me!!

Thanks so much!

Destri March 10, 2012 at 9:36 am

Laney, I was hoping to have more exact measurements for you, but I am still working on everything! I would say 15-16 inches long, but you will want to take more off the sides too. I should have a complete sizing guide up soon, I just need a few more tests to be completed!

JO March 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I have tried to make the armhole as you suggest. But I cannot turn the fabric down.
As I see it, it is not on the bias and will not turn under. I have tried more than once.
I always end up using double fold bias tape.Can you help? Please if possible, answer to my email.
JO

Destri March 6, 2012 at 6:16 am

Yes, if it’s not on the bias it will be harder to get a curve. You can still just use the bias tape, or I like to make a tri-fold piece cut on the bias and then sew one side to the right side of the armhole, then turn over and attach to the inside of the armhole. Does that make sense? You will want to cut a little more than the tutorial suggests as there is only one fold, using a J shape when cutting.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Kelly March 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Do you know the measurements for a 9-12 month size? I bought some fat quarters today and can’t wait to make this!

Destri March 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

So sorry Kelly, I am just finding this. I am working on a complete sizing guide for it right now, in the meantime a good length for that size is around 15 1/2 inches, I almost have it finished up, I will let you know!

Tarah Clark March 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for this easy tutorial! I just made a dress for my friend’s daughter with a matching headband. Here is a link to my facebook if it will let you see them :) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150576386465981.383092.700420980&type=1
Thanks again!

Destri March 10, 2012 at 8:45 am

Oh dang it! It won’t let me see. I would love to see the headband! Feel free to post a link on our Facebook page, I think it will let you there. Thanks so much for letting me know Tarah!

Holly M. March 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hopefully this works! I made it a little too wide for her right now, BUT…she should grow into it. She’s 14 months now….so maybe for an 18 month I’d try cutting the strips 4″ wide. I made this dress 5″ and it was pretty wide.

Can’t wait to make more!

Joan March 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you so much for the easy-to-follow tutorial! I just finished a pillowcase dress using blue-patterned fat quarters and it’s just too adorable… I also made a bracelet purse to go with it ( thanks again for the pattern for that :-) ). I can’t wait to get more material to make more dresses/purses. I’m making them for little cancer patients. Apparently pillowcase dresses can be worn in lieu of hospital gowns because they allow easy access to ports and such. I’m anxiously awaiting your more exact sizing chart …not putting any pressure on you though :-) .

Destri March 12, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Aw Jane, that’s just awesome. What a great thing to know. And, really – that is just the right kind of pressure! I will be sure to let you know when it is up! Thanks so much for letting me know, on both accounts.

Kristin March 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

It would also look cute with a layer of eyelet instead of, or in addition to, the bottom.

Laine March 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Thank you for your wonderful tutorial. I made matching dresses for my 3 & 1 year old daughters and they turned out great. I am very new to sewing & your directions were very easy to follow. I’ve attached a link to my blog where I have pictures of the girls wearing their new dresses :-)

Katie March 22, 2012 at 2:14 am

Wow, this is the first thing that I have ever attempted to make on my sewing machine (that I had to actually dust before using!) and it has turned out perfect! The tutorial made everything so clear that I never felt like I didn’t know exactly what I was doing at each stage. I can’t express how pleased I am with this little dress, I am going to firstly make one to match for my youngest daughter, then I think I’ll make them in every pretty fabric I can get my hands on!! I’m over the moon with this, and it’s really built up my confidence as a novice, to attempt other sewing projects :)
Thank you so much, can’t wait for more of your tutorials!

Destri March 23, 2012 at 8:19 am

Aw Katie, you made my day. Nothing makes me want to do more tutorials than comments like that. Thank you so much! I have a front tie option coming up in a couple weeks, so keep an eye out!

Katie March 22, 2012 at 2:51 am

My first attempt at the pillowcase dress, just wish my camera was better.
P.S, Top stitch rules! :)

Destri March 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

Katie it’s beautiful! I just made one with eyelet too, and I love it! I love love the blues. Thanks so much for letting me know, and sharing a picture.

Yay for top stitching!

Lori March 26, 2012 at 7:23 am

I just wanted to thank you for the fantastic tutorial. I made a dress for my granddaughter this weekend, and it turned out great. Your tutorial was simple to follow. I also appreciate how professionally finished the final product was. Again, thanks!

Destri March 29, 2012 at 5:14 am

Thanks so much for letting me know Lori, and for the compliments, makes my day!

Monica March 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I LOVE this dress it’s so cute, I just got my first sewing machine yesterday, and this was going to be my first project, but I see it is for a 3T-4T, I was going to make it for my daughter, she’s 5 :) Is there an easy way to make it one to two size bigger?
Than You, Monica:)

Destri March 29, 2012 at 5:09 am

Hi Monica, welcome to the sewing world! I’ll admit, I’m a tad flattered this will be your first project :). Okay, so I just made this dress in a size 5t and it was simple. All you need to do is cut the strips to 6×21 instead of 6×18. If you have generous fat quarters you can even cut them at 6×22. Then for the bottom panel, add an extra inch for 8×22 (or however long the fat quarter is). Then just sew it up!
I do have a sizing guide coming up, it’s just taking me forever!
Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

ps remember the iron is your friend, as is the topstitching :)

Monica March 29, 2012 at 8:34 am

Thank you so much, I can’t wait to get started:)

Joy March 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

I just printed out your tutorial and can’t wait to go buy fat quarters and get started on dresses for my granddaughters. I totally followed when I was reading through until I got to cutting for the armholes. I keep trying to make the illustration match to the instructions (illustration shows approx 2″ on the top and approx 3″ down on the side while instructions state 3 1/2″ on the top and 4 1/2″ down on the side). What am I missing? Or was the illustration just meant to show the idea in general but when cutting I need to follow the measurements given in the instructions. I may just be having a “senior moment” and this will all make sense soon since I don’t see where anyone else had this issue. Thank you for your help.

Destri March 29, 2012 at 11:47 am

I knew that was going to get noticed at some point! I actually took the picture with the first cut, and then had to take more because I didn’t account for the casing at first, and I didn’t get another picture. So yes, follow the written instructions! So sorry for your confusion!

Jenn April 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Thank you so much for this super cute tutorial! I love this little dress and have had so much fun making it (quite a few times)!

Destri April 11, 2012 at 5:22 am

You’re welcome! Thanks so much for letting me know, makes my day :)

Phouka April 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I am a brand-new sewer, and I’ve been jonesing to make my little girl (7 months) a little dress. I think this one’s in my skill level (to give you an idea: I didn’t know where the bobbin winder was on my sewing machine, and I still don’t know what bias tape is or what I’d want it for). I’m excited to give it a try tonight! Thanks so much for posting it!!

Destri April 11, 2012 at 5:21 am

Welcome! I love new sewers :). You’ll be a pro before you know it. As for bias tape, I love it and use it for a ton of things. Whats great about it is it takes a curve easily, they cut it at an angle on the fabric grain so it bends easily. In this tutorial I use it at of ease of use, but really you could use anything, even ribbon.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I’d love to see pics of the dress!

Jennifer April 12, 2012 at 5:16 am

I love love loved this dress. I picked out fabric at my local fabric store and got three dresses out of the fabric I purchased. It was easy to put together as well. I bought ribbon to use as the tie, but did not like our flimsy it was. So it took left over fabric and sewed it into a long thin rectangle and used that to hold the dress up instead of the ribbon. I think it works much better for active children. I made a 2T and 2 6-12 month dresses. For the infant dresses I actually put the tie in the back of the dress so as not to cause a choking hazard. The 2T I put the ties on her shoulder. She put it on at Easter and ran around in it all day. Thanks so much for the great idea.

Destri April 12, 2012 at 6:23 am

Jennifer, thank you so much, that is great feedback. So glad you liked it and I love that the sizing chart is getting put to good use!

Carrie April 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I am by no means a sewer, but I found this dress on pinterest and thought I would give it a whirl. Your pattern is super easy to follow and the dress is adorable. Thank you for providing the pattern for the elastic neckline for younger babies. I can’t wait for my little princess to grow into it! http://thestickneys.blogspot.com/2012/04/girl-stuff.html

Destri April 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love it! Thanks so much for sharing, and the compliments :)

Jackie April 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Hi! I love your blog and have been following for a couple months now. I am so excited to have got the nerve to try this project and finished up today! Wooohooo! I bought a little 5-pack fat quarter bundle from JoAnne’s this week and put it all together. I promise to post pix. It’s so adorable. Thanks for this fun exercise too. I’m no pro, but sure love sewing for my 3year old little lady. :D

Destri April 19, 2012 at 9:00 am

Yay! Thanks so much for letting me know, and I can’t wait to see pics!

Sheila April 18, 2012 at 7:30 am

I made this using your pattern, Thanks!
/Users/sheilamann/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2012/Apr 18, 2012/DSCN2283.JPG

Destri April 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oh shoot, it won’t let me see it! Thanks so much for letting me know though, love that. What size did you make?

Emily April 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I love this pattern….however, my fat quarters that I bought are 18×21…not 18×22. Any suggestions to make it 22″ or is it ok to leave off 1inch?!? Thanks!

Destri April 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

Yeah, some are stingy :). I do have a little bit about that on the sizing guide, but tell me what size you are making and I can give you some detail. Really, you can just make it at the 21, and adjust the seam allowance to 1/4 inch and then you’re only missing about a 1/2 inch. Let me know!

Kristen April 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

Destri, You’ve heard it before in the comments, but I’ll say it again–thank you so much for this tutorial. So easy to follow, and you write so naturally. It was so easy to follow. I made two! I do have one question, though. Do you top stitch the side seams when you make yours?

Destri April 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

Thanks so much Kristen, it really makes me smile every time! That is a great question, I haven’t – but it wouldn’t be a bad idea. I might have to add that :)

Marian April 21, 2012 at 6:16 am

Just finished my first one, easy to follow directions…thank you. I made a 3-6mos with the elastic neckline version and am finishing up coordinating diaper cover. Thanks again.

Destri April 21, 2012 at 8:00 am

Thanks so much Marian! Can you let me know how the sizing was for you on the 3-6 month? I am trying to confirm that size.

Marian April 26, 2012 at 1:20 pm

The first one was a tad too long for the newborn I made it for, she will grow into it by Summer’s end. I made another last night, cut the strips 10″ for the length, seems to be right for the little one. She is 5 weeks old. I am hoping to get a photo soon.
Peace~Marian

Grandma Elois April 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I love the pillow case dress on little girls. I have plenty fabric, but I have never had the pattern for the sleeves measured like you have done. I am thrilled to get these measurements. My 2 year old grand daughter will have pretty new dresses for summer. Thank you.

Dannyelle April 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thank you for the wonderful instructions. I used them to make a sweet little cupcake version for my daughter’s birthday and she loved it. I’m not great at sewing but your step by step pictures really helped. Thanks so much. Here’s pictures at my blog:

Daria May 1, 2012 at 7:01 am

I made this and it turned out GREAT! I’ll definitely do it again.

I posted my adventure on my mommy/fashion blog along with a lot of photos:

Destri May 3, 2012 at 4:51 am

It really did Daria, your fabric selection was spot on! Your girl is gorgeous! Thanks so much for taking the time to post pics and link, it means a lot :)

Keri May 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this comprehensive tutorial! I have 3 granddaughters and am looking forward to making them matching dresses. From the finished pictures on your website it seems that the bottom layer is wider proportionally than the measurements given. For example, the bottom layer for size 3 is 6″ by 22″ but when you fold it in half it will only be 3″ and that just doesn’t seem wide enough. Am I looking at it wrong?

Destri May 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Hi Keri,

Thanks so much! You have some lucky Grandbabies.
As for the bottom panel, you can make it any width you want, but the dress shown uses the exact measurements for the size 3. I made it a little bigger for the older sizes, but if you’d like it wider, just add an inch.
If it is the width of the dress panels when sewn verses the width of the bottom panel, you cut two pieces and this gives you plenty for the front and back panel.
Let me know if that clears it up for you!
Hope I get to see some pictures!

Buffy May 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Thanks so much for your simple instructions and photos. They made what felt like a daunting task super easy and fun! I upcycled an old bedsheet and made a cute dress for my 1 year old.

Destri May 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

Oh I love a good upcycle! You’re so welcome, thanks so much for letting me know, makes my day.

VelvetV May 22, 2012 at 3:33 am

Your directions are excellent and easy to follow. This was the first article of clothing I ever made and it came out great, thanks to your well explained instructions. So thank you!

MadScientistAmy May 23, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I saw this and got a little obsessed until I finally finished it. It looks fantastic! Can’t wait until my daughter sees it tomorrow morning when she wakes up!

Destri June 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Oh I love the red white and blue – I will have to make sure and make one for next year! Your finish work looks fabulous. Thanks so much for the picture, they make my day!

Caryn B May 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

“Starting at the top, you will sew down the side. At the beginning you will have a larger seam allowance”

Why will it be larger at the beginning? Sorry…I’m new!

Destri May 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm

That’s okay! It is larger at the beginning there at the top because you want to make sure to sew on the inside of that raw edge from where you make the armholes. Really all your doing is creating more of an A-line shape. Just look at the images of where I started and the one where I circles it. Then gradually take the stitch to 3/8 seam allowance. Even if you don’t get it exact it will turn out great so don’t fret!

Let me know if you have anymore questions!